Queries

I have had quite a number of emails asking me what the process of picking a cosmetic surgeon involved.
I will give you a run down of how I chose.
Seeing as I have been researching for going on 4 years now, I already had a list of surgeons who I wanted to see, some I had found on my own accord, some were recommended to my by girls who had already had the procedure.
When I visited Dr.Jane, I felt comfortable as soon as I entered the building.
It is a discreet terrace house, with no signage advertising what it is they actually do in there.
I was taken to a lounge room/waiting room where they had books full of cards from previous clients, magazines, information brochures, chocolates etc etc etc.
When it was time to go in to see Dr.Jane, I was beginning to get pretty nervous as I was on my own.
When I rang to make the initial consult, they emailed me a very large questionnaire, which detailed why I want this, what made me think I needed it, what questions/concerns I had etc etc.
I put together a very large list of questions, most I already had the answer to thanks to all my research, but of course it is better to actually ask the doctor rather than relying on google.
First things first, she had me take off my blouse (Me: And my bra??? Jane: *chuckles* haha yes...) and she measured my chest wall, breast width, the area from collar bone to nipples etc. She also took lots of photos from different angles.
She checked me over for signs of lumps, scars on my body to see how I heal and things like this.
She told me my measurements, that I had great skin which scars very well.
She also told me that I had a decent amount of breast tissue, but that it was all under the nipple, which is why I look so flat.
She loaded the photos on the computer, printed them out and gave me a copy.
After spending an hour going through my questions, playing with different implants (smooth vs textured, round vs tear drop, saline vs silicone) and her detailing every little risk involved, I was taken upstairs to see Katrina.
She also said that Katrina and herself would be dealing with me the whole time, every time I needed to see her (one day after, one week after, one month after, 6 months, 12 months and annually) that I could be reassured it would be her that I was seeing.
Katrina showed me before & after photos of women, and had me put on a special sports bra and put different sized sillicone implants in, and wear them under my top for awhile.
Based on this, and the surgeons opinion, we chose which implant would be best for me.
Now I am thinking that I want to go up to the next size available, but I don't think they will let me!
So this was the first consult. I knew straight away that I would be using this doctor.
I had a few more consults, no stand outs except for the one I am about to detail.
Now on the other end of the scale was another consult.
I was kept waiting for at least 40 minutes, then a nurse rushed me in, and gave me some brochures and told me the cost of the procedure (same as the other surgery).
She did not ask to see my breasts, she did not go through any risks associated etc.
I asked why I was not meeting with the surgeon, and if I could at least see before and after photos.
She told me he only does the surgeries, that he does not liase with the patients and that No, they do not show before and afters.
This is not good.
If I am spending a large amount of money, and trusting someone with my life (realistically, every surgery has risks) I want to meet with them and know they will be dealing with me the whole time.
I want to feel secure and safe in my decision to use this surgeon.
The nurse then asked if I wanted to go ahead and book the surgery, leaving a deposit.
I told her that No, I would not be booking considering she did not even show me before and after photos (these will show you the surgeons style) and she did not even go thru risks, procedure info, recovery etc.
I'm sure that this doctor is a great doctor, but I did not feel comfortable.
Once I had decided Jane was the doctor for me, I went back for a 2nd consult and we went thru everything again. This time S came with me.
That day I got a list of dates that I could book in, went back to work, asked my boss which date was good for her, and booked the very same day.
Picking a surgeon is a really personal choice.
42 DAYS TO GO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment